Saturday, May 2, 2009

Motivation Combines Positive Attitude and Confidence

Since motivation is often dependent upon your positive attitude and your confidence, I will be posting future blogs on the Big Three: motivation, positive attitude and confidence.

Motivation Myths

Myth #1 – You can motivate other people. No, you can’t. We all have to motivate ourselves. Motivation is like a door that’s locked from the inside. You can motivate only one person in this world – yourself. So, why is there such a market for ‘motivational’ speakers, ‘motivational’ books, ‘motivational’ presentations? Because an effective ‘motivator’ can set up an environment where people will want to motivate themselves. The key is knowing how to create that environment.

Myth #2 – Money is a very effective motivator. No, not really. Certain things like money, a nice office and job security can help people from becoming less motivated, but they usually don't help people to become more motivated. The key is to understand the motivations of each person. What motivates them? What literally drives them?

Myth #3 – Fear is an even more effective motivator.Yes, fear is a great motivator, but only for a very short time. That's why a lot of yelling from your supervisor or manager won't keep you ‘motivated’ for long.

Myth #4 – I know what motivates me, so I know what motivates others. No, you don’t. Different people are motivated by different things. I may be greatly motivated by getting a longer vacation so I can spend more time with my family. You might be motivated much more by recognition of a job well done. Someone else might be motivated by feeling ‘in on things.’ People are not motivated by the same things. Again, the key is to understand what motivates each person.
So now the key question is: How do I motivate others: How? The answer, because it’s so simple, may surprise you. Find out what they want! Ask them!

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. – Author unknown

No comments: